Sunday, May 16, 2010

Kolten Rhen Smith

On April 18 at 5:44 am we welcomed our precious little Kolten into our family. He was a week early which is unusual with my babies but the whole process of getting him here was not exactly how I had planned. I love hearing about other people's delivery stories so here is Kolten's delivery... On Saturday the 17th I came down with stomach flu after catching it from Keegan. I started having contractions which I was sure were due to being dehydrated. I decided to go to the hospital to get checked out since I have pretty quick labors and to get some IV fluids and then probably come home later. I woke Karl to let him know I was going and then left for the hospital. I was very dehydrated and even though contracting I was still only dialated 1cm. With each contraction though Kolten's heartrate would drop so the MD wanted to watch me for a couple hours. I was released early the next morning. I went home and stayed in bed sleeping most of the day trying to feel better. At 3:30 the next morning I woke up with contractions and called my mom to head to our house to watch our kids. After an hour the contractions were closer, stronger, and I was wondering "where is my mother?" The look on Karl's face was priceless, he looked a little panicky as he said "let's just get in the truck and we'll be ready to go when she pulls in." I started to feel pushy and thought "this is not good!" How was I going to walk into the hospital when I can't even sit down in the truck? When we saw my mom's car we hauled fanny to the hospital. As they wheeled me through the ER my water broke (so much fun!) As I came onto the OB floor I could see my friends standing at the end of the hall smiling, that is until they saw how serious I was and then they kicked it into high gear getting my room ready. I arrived fully dialated with baby ready to deliver. I had definitly not planned on delivering naturally!! They ended up calling the ER doctor up and 10 minutes after arriving on the OB unit the ER doctor delivered Kolten because my MD did not make it in time. From start to finish my labor was 2 hours!! I told Karl it was a good thing that we weren't 10 minutes later or he would have delivered the baby and he said "no I just would have drove faster and you would have delivered in the ER." It was a crazy delivery but we are so glad our little precious Kolten is here!!

2 comments:

Nalder family said...

ohh my goodness he is such cutie!!! I love his cheeks!!
I will email you my email cuz I want to still be able to see your blog....i am also going private too

Laura said...

love the pictures and the story! we can't wait to see that cute new baby boy! hope you're all getting some sleep! see you all soon...we hope!